Bangladesh Environment and Development Society (BEDS) celebrated World Biodiversity Day 2017 at the grass-roots level in Bangladesh, adjacent to the Sundarbans mangrove Forest area focusing on this year theme “Biodiversity and Sustainable Tourism”. The aim of our celebration is to make people aware about the importance, necessity and
conservation of biodiversity through sustainable eco-tourism. We organized a discussion with the local community about the morality of the day and the importance of biodiversity. At the beginning of the discussion we did some group works on the importance of Sundarbans and how we can perform the sustainable eco-tourism in the Sundarbans. Then the discussion on the importance of biodiversity began. They mentioned how biodiversity help us to live and how human beings destroying the diversity. Representatives of Bangladesh Environment and Development Society (BEDS) delivered their speech and told the participants why biodiversity is important to us and why should we preserves them, and how in local community can use the enriched and conserved biodiversity for sustainable eco-tourism.
Some important points of their group works are given below:
· Sundarbans is the world’s largest mangrove and enrich in biodiversity like by havingRoyal Bengal Tiger, Deer, Crocodile, and Dolphin etc.
· Sundarbans save the coastal areas and from different disasters, provides us Oxygen
· Sundarbans is the source of economy for the local people, like by collecting honey, crabs, thatch and fishes
· Sundarbans is the source of beauty, so we can earn by sustainable Eco-tourism
1. They came to know how biodiversity helps us to live.
2. They realized that how mangroves protect them from natural calamities.
3. They promised to take care of the around biodiversity of the Sundarbans.
4. The local community also promises that they will perform sustainable eco-tourism in the Sundarbans region.
5. They said that they will harvest the Sundarbans resources in a sustainable way.