Name of organisation
Pagatpatan Wetland Learning Center Learning Center / Caraga State University
Caraga State University; from other external sources
Number of staff
Number of visitors per year
About a thousand
Overall aims of the centre
The Center’s goal is to conserve the natural resources in the wetland, particularly the indigenous and endemic species, as well as to educate the people on the value of the wetlands and its biodiversity in sustaining life.
Description of the centre
Location: Butuan City
Size of site: 5 hectares
Types of habitats and species supported:
Mangrove forest, coastal forest, sago swamp which are habitats to wild ducks and other bird species.
Featured programs: bird watching, boating, firefly watching, mudcrab culture
Main CEPA work area
What types of work are you doing around communication, education, participation, and awareness-raising?
Conduct seminars on mangrove uses among local stakeholders, prepare and distribute leaflets, capability building on species identification among students, seminars on biodiversity conservation, seminar on potential ecotourism in Pagatpatan Wetlands, Seminar on sago palm for food and for disaster risk reduction
Top three successes
1) Seminar on sago palm for food and for disaster risk reduction – gathered stakeholders to learn about the importance of sago for food and for disaster risk reduction
2) Seminar on ecotourism potential of Pagatpatan Wetlands – the local stakeholders are oriented about the wise use of resources in the wetland
3) Capability building for students – students can identify the flora and fauna in the wetland
Top three challenges
1) Lack of funds to sustain the CEPA activities
2) Working with local government in promoting CEPA can be challenging
3) Ecotourism in the Pagatpatan Wetland requires local investment
Producing written materials; Developing nature trails
Running a visitor centre; Building / maintaining structures
Engaging hard-to-reach groups; Working with volunteers
Education and communication
Early years education; Lobbying / running campaigns;
PR and marketing; Health and safety; Fund-raising
Join WLI free and create your own member profile showcasing the work you are doing.