Magic of interpreting natural patterns

Category: LAC regional news

Last updated: April 9th, 2024

The staff and pupils at Liceo Taller San Miguel and its Danapure wetland have created a beautiful book celebrating a recent project.

Mystery script and the word Liquenes over a russet pink background, from Licer Taller San Miguel Danapure

Lichens, Messengers of Nature, is a way for school children to empathise with nature. They explore their wetland, and when they find lichens, they examine the patterns the lichens make. They 'reverse engineer' the patterns into letters, to create an alphabet.

This allows the children create messages that matter to them, and read messages in nature.

The project will receive funding from WLI's 2023 Small Grants scheme.

8 Comments

1. Sara Rincón on 16th February 2024 at 12:28 pm

We liked the article very much, we think its very interesting and a great advance for our school that works really hard on taking care of our planet

By: Sara Rincón and Sarahi Chavarro

2. Samuel Liefmann on 16th February 2024 at 12:28 pm

Is a good book y like the images, it was a good proyect investigation

3. Mari Mejía on 16th February 2024 at 12:30 pm

I think this project was a great way to explore things I didn’t know you could find in such common places. This is a great way to get creative with different activities. I really liked it.

4. Valeria Galviz on 16th February 2024 at 12:32 pm

I think this was a very fun activity and that this is going to help us to understand better how the nature works

5. almeria amaya et Gabriel Llanos on 16th February 2024 at 12:33 pm

nous aimons le project c’est super nous aimons le nature pour marcher tu mon temps libre

6. Sara Giraldo on 16th February 2024 at 12:34 pm

The project of the lichens is cool because it helps us to connect with nature, use our imagination, and see new things. In this project we can see how awesome could the nature be, it is a project in the one you get out of your daily routine and see nature, from my point of view I like this project because is so cool to see the different lichen forms.

7. Sebastian Carrillo and Manuela Gallego on 16th February 2024 at 12:35 pm

I think its very creative the idea of said that the líquenes are some time of language.

8. Juan Miguel Jaramillo on 16th February 2024 at 12:37 pm

The project its interactive, and that draws more attention to the people, I like it.